55 Powerful Influencer Marketing Statistics and Facts You Need to Know
Social media influencer marketing has exploded in popularity in just a few years. People are turning to influencers on social media for advice more than ever, and today, it is the influencers who have the true reach and and trust. With that in mind, it doesn’t come as a surprise that 86% of marketers have used influencer marketing in the last year, nor that influencer marketing budgets skyrocketing.
In this article, we’re digging deep into the statistics of influencer marketing and the results it’s able to generate.
1. Influencer marketing content delivers 11X higher ROI than traditional forms of digital marketing. (TapInfluence study with Nielsen Catalina Solutions, 2016)
2. 70 percent of teenagers say they trust influencers more than traditional celebrities.
As a brand, it’s difficult, if not impossible to build the trust influencers have. In fact, 54% of people don’t trust brands. However, with the help of influencer marketing, trust is transmitted to your brand. Also, instead of wasting your efforts on promoting yourself, which a large share of people obviously don’t trust, using influencers to speak for you will get your message listened to and trusted.
2. 6 in 10 follow advice from their favourite creator on what to buy over recommendations from celebrities.
It’s no secret that customers have a hard time trusting brands and what they say. Nor is it a secret that celebrities have lost the impact that they once had. Now, people are trusting social media influencers and peers more than anything else.
3. 86 percent of women turn to social media outlets for opinions and advice on what to buy.
This is especially relevant to brands that have women as their main target audience, but also relevant to brands who have them in their spectrum of ideal customers. If you want to reach women and get them to buy from you, influencer marketing is a must.
4. 72 percent of women turn to social media “frequently” for guidance in everyday purchase decisions.
These women turn to social media influencers ahead of anything else for inspiration. By getting your products seen in these contexts, you can increase your sales dramatically.
5. 49 percent of consumers rely on influencer recommendations.
At the same time, 54% of people don’t trust brands. These are two sides of the spectrum, but it’s no question to which side you want to be on. Parter with influencers and consumers will trust and rely on these recommendations. When consumers feel safe with the recommendations the influencer gives, they’ll follow through and buy the recommended product.
All thanks to a trust which brands will never be able to obtain.
6. 92 percent of consumers trust recommendations from peers on social media above all other forms of advertising.
If you can get people to share your message and make it so that it’s presented in a genuine way, the message will be trusted by almost all consumers.
7. Influencer marketing campaigns generate $6.5 in earned media value for every $1.00 invested.
Invest $1 and get $6.5 back. Only a few marketing sources are able to replicate the same tremendous return on investment.
8. 13 percent of brands generate $20 in revenue for every dollar invested in influencer marketing.
For every dollar you invest, you get 20 back. If you succeed in creating an influencer campaign that comes of as genuine, and partner with an influencer who have true impact over people, you too are able to achieve these incredible results.
9. 59 percent of marketers plan to increase their influencer marketing budgets over the next 12 months
Brands are only increasing spending budgets for one reason: the thing they are spending their money on at the moment is clearly generating results.
10. Influencer marketing has been rated as the fastest-growing online customer-acquisition channel.
Influencer marketing is quickly growing traction. As more and more brands hop on the influencer marketing train, it is more important than ever to partner with influencers who truly resonates with your brand and that create an influencer campaign that is fully aligned with the values the influencer’s followers have. If you choose an influencer who don’t resonate with your brand, it could have the opposite effect instead.
11. 22 percent of marketers identify influencer marketing as the most cost-effective customer-acquisition method.
As we saw above, 13% of marketers see a $20 return on one dollar invested. There are only a few marketing sources that are able to generate the same ROI, so it doesn’t exactly leave us wondering how 22% of marketers say they find influencer marketing to be a cost-effective customer-acquisition method.
12. 51 percent of marketers believe they can acquire better customers through influencer marketing.
By partnering with the right influencers, you only reach those who truly matter, and therefore also obtain better customers that are more relevant to your brand. Instead of running ads that you have zero clue in who they reach, influencer marketing helps you reach potential customers of yours, and do it with the help of a trusted individual.
13. 57 percent of companies in the fashion and beauty industry use influencer marketing in their marketing strategy.
The fashion and beauty industry is one of the industries who use influencer marketing the most. In fact, there are plenty of examples of beauty and fashion brands who have built their brands purely with the power of influencer marketing.
When you can get your product exposure on a platform where millions of people spend their time, you’ll be able to impact them to the point where they buy from you.
15. In 2016, influencer marketing surpassed print marketing.
We’re seeing a transition in the way brands spend their marketing budget. Brands are going from inefficient and expensive display and print ads to influencer marketing simply because IM can generate an ROI that print marketing can only dream of achieving.
16. 73 percent of all marketers claim they have an allocated budget for influencer marketing.
If you aren’t implementing influencer marketing into your marketing strategy, you’re already behind your competition. More and more marketers are starting to realize that influencer marketing is a tremendously powerful tool that they simply can’t afford to miss out on.
17. Google searches for the term “influencer marketing” has increased by 325 percent over 12 months.
Interest in influencer marketing is skyrocketing, and so should your budget allocated influencer marketing.
18. More than 230 influencer marketing dedicated agencies have popped up in just 24 months.
As the interest in influencer marketing from brands has increased, the demand for influencer marketing agencies that help guide the brands to influencer marketing success has grown as well.
19. 67 percent of marketers report that they plan on increasing their influencer marketing budget in the next 12 months.
When almost 70% of marketers say they plan on increasing their budgets allocated towards influencer marketing, it’s nothing but a clear sign that influencer marketing works.
20. 84 percent of marketers find influencer marketing to be effective.
Set up an influencer campaign properly and you’ll find it effective as well!
21. 55 percent of marketers believe they get better marketing results with influencer marketing.
22. The influencer marketing industry is expected to reach $1.7B in 2018.
Brands are finally starting to acknowledge the incredible results influencer marketing is able to generate. Fail to implement influencer marketing in time and your competitors will already have dominated the marketing source when you decide to implement it.
Bottom line: the time is now.
23. The number of brand sponsored influencer posts is expected to reach 12.9 Million in 2017 and close to double in 2018, reaching 24.2 Million sponsored influencer posts on social media.
Influencer marketing posts are growing exponentially and the growth don’t seem to slow down any time soon.
24. 94 percent of brands who have used influencer marketing found it to be effective.
Create a strategy, set up goals, and use platforms like Veloce to identify influencers who are the perfect fits for your brand and you’ll be included in the 94%.
25. In 2016, marketers generally spent between $25,000 and $50,000 per influencer marketing program.
Influencer marketing spend is completely up to the brand. You can spend as little as $20 or spend as much as $500,000. More invested money doesn’t necessarily mean better results. But if you know how to spend that money in the right way, you’ll dominate influencer marketing and generate results you never thought was possible.
26. 40 percent of people say they have purchased a product online as a result of seeing it being used by an influencer on social media.
The impact influencers have on people is real. When influencers with true influence over people share a positive experience with a product, people are likely to want it as well.
27. Purchase intent is increased by 5.2X when Twitter users are exposed to promotional content from influencers on the platform.
Investigate which social media platforms are most suitable for your brand and choose them based on where your target audience is to be found. Just know that Twitter is a social platform that is immensely powerful.
28. 71 percent of marketers believe that an ongoing partnership with an influencer is most effective in influencer marketing.
Don’t view influencers as one time use objects. By partnering with influencers and making them into ambassadors, their messages will come of as more trusted, instead of promoting a brand once and then never speak about it again.
30. Influencer marketing generate an 11X higher ROI than traditional forms of advertising.
Traditional marketing was effective 50 years ago but not today. It’s time to start throwing money in the trash and invest in marketing that generate results worthwhile.
31. Nearly 40 percent of Twitter users report having made a purchase as a direct result of a Tweet from an influencer.
It’s true! People buy products recommended by an influencer because they trust them. Just make sure you choose influencer to partner with with caution so that the message comes off as authentic.
32. 70 percent of internet users report that they want to learn about a product through content before traditional advertising.
Content is king but context is queen. Content marketing is important for convincing your audience to buy from you, but it’s even more important that the content is shared in the right way and by the right influencers.
33. 33 percent of people say that they rely on bloggers to guide them to a purchase.
Blogging influencers tend to sometimes be forgotten, but they are individuals who have built a strong community and have strong relationships with their readers.
34. 89 percent of brands use influencer marketing to create authentic content.
Influencer generated content are far more trustworthy to customers, even if it’s later shared by the brand. Partner with influencers to get content that bears trust that your brand only can dream about.
35. Social media is the number one driver of all referral traffic, standing for 31 percent of all referral traffic.
Influencer marketing can drive a ton of traffic to your site, but in order to do so, it’s important that you have defined it as a goal of your influencer marketing efforts.
36. 57 percent of marketers found that influencer generated content performs better than professionally produced assets.
We just read that 89% of brands use influencers to generate content, so it’s not a surprise that the influencer generate content comes with a huge benefit. Influencer generated content is far more trusted than professionally produced assets, even if the latter holds a much higher standard.
37. 59 percent of micro-influencers think Instagram is the most effective social media platform to engage their target audience.
When micro-influencers who are the ones that know their audience the best says that Instagram is the most effective platform to engage their target audience, it says something about the platform. When the influencer generates good results, it means good results for you as a brand, as well. When choosing social platform, have this in mind.
38. 72 percent of customers trust a business more after it is recommended by an influencer.
When influencers recommend you as a brand, a bit of the trust they have is transmitted to you. Partner with trusted influencers regularly and become a brand that your audience listens to.
Banner ads are losing efficiency and brands need new ways to reach their target audience and convert them into customers. The decrease of interest in banner ads has led to a dramatic increase in influencer marketing growth.
40. 49 percent of marketers and communications professionals say they find influencer marketing to be “very effective” when it comes to achieving their visibility objectives.
To achieve your objectives with an increased visibility, you first need to define what exactly you want to achieve. 49% of marketers say that influencer marketing is very effective, but for you to know if it is, you first need to know hat you want to achieve.
41. 93 percent of marketers report that they are getting results in improving their visibility with the help of influencer marketing.
Influencers have exposure at their fingertips and can introduce you to an incredible number of people in a matter of seconds. By piggybacking off of influencers, you can get your product in front of thousands, maybe even millions at a fraction of what it costs to gain the same exposure from display ads.
42. 75 percent of professionals think influencer engagement is effective in lead generation.
43. For 67 percent of surveyed marketers, content promotion is the main benefit generated from influencer marketing.
47. 23 percent of marketers work with influencer marketing for SEO purposes (and find great success from it).
Influencer marketing also has SEO benefits. By partnering with blogging influencers (first and foremost), you can get your website to rank higher in search engines and as a result gain more traffic long after the campaign has ended.
48. 68 percent of marketers consider Twitter a key channel for influencer marketing.
Twitter is a quick and simple way to interact with your audience, and the same goes for influencers. Influencers work as message birds, and what better place to use a message bird than on Twitter?
49. Extending the brand’s community is the driving motivation for influencer marketing, according to 55 percent of communication professionals.
50. 55 percent of marketers say the driving motivation of influencer marketing is to reach new audiences.
Influencers generally have access to a lot more people than brands have. Not only does influencers have the opportunity to reach more people, they also have the opportunity to reach the right people, and people who truly matter for the brand. If the brand partners with an influencer who is suitable, that is.
51. Influencers with 10K-100K followers (micro-influencers) generate the highest engagement and reach, compared to the price they charge for sponsored posts.
Micro-influencers are known for generating the best results for the least amount of money. Micro-influencers have a more targeted and highly engaged audience, and this is the reason its able to generate the results it does.
52. Respondents are trusting images from other consumers on social media 7X more than traditional advertising.
Previous customers work as brand advocated and can be described as a form of influencers. Encourage happy customers to share their experience, and share testimonials.
53. 56 percent are more likely to buy a product after seeing it displayed in a positive or relatable light, on social media.
When people see a product recommendation from an influencer they relate with, they tend to trust it. Even if they don’t know the influencer, the influencer has built trust with its audience, and is therefore more likely to get listened to.
54. Content marketing is 62 percent less expensive than traditional advertising yet drives nearly 3X as many leads.
Pay less, get more results. Sounds like a great deal. This statistic alone explains why we’re seeing a transition in the world of marketing, and that display advertising is losing traction like never before.
55. 70 percent of influencers think that the most effective ways to partner with brands is through an influencer marketing platform.
With influencer marketing platforms like Veloce Network, the partnership process is simplified and made easy for both brand and influencer. Brands can also achieve their true potential and make sure they get the most out of their marketing budget by taking help and guidance from an influencer marketing platform that recommends the most suitable and laser-targeted influencers.