Top SEO Tools for eCommerce
SEO is a big and growing industry, and the tools the pros use are keeping pace. So if you have an online business and need to rise in the page ranks, you need to know about these tools. They’ll help you with everything from keyword research and link building to analyzing what your competitors are doing. Here are the top ten.
1. Google Search Console: Top SEO Tool
If you use nothing else, go straight to the source. Google’s search console is a great first step and a tool all website owners should be using. It allows you to monitor your site’s presence in the search engine results pages (SERP). You can get a look at specific metrics, like impressions, click-through rate average, and total clicks. This is an essential basic tool for keeping an eye on page rank and troubleshooting any problems.
2. Ahrefs’ Site Explorer
One of the best and most comprehensive tools for eCommerce SEO is Site Explorer. The downside is that it’s a paid subscription, but you get a lot for your money. It is invaluable for looking at your competitors’ strategies and building on those for your own site.
Click here for a guide on Ahrefs Site Explorer, but here’s a quick rundown on what it offers:
- Organic traffic. Look at the keywords your competitors rank for, and that brings traffic.
- Paid traffic. Find out what kind of paid search advertising your competitors use.
- Backlinks. Find opportunities for backlinks by finding websites linking to competitors.
- Outgoing links. Analyze any website’s linking patterns.
Ahrefs offers different subscription levels, so you can choose just Site Explorer or get them all.
Another subscription product, SEMrush, offers Pro, Guru, and Business levels for between about $100 and $400 per month. This is a detailed competitor analysis tool. One of its main draws is the elaborate and extensive dashboard. Another bonus is that you can use SEMrush to compare your site’s performance to competitors. It does use a lot of SEO terminology that beginners need to learn.
4. Moz Pro
Moz Pro is consistently considered one of the best SEO tools available. It offers different subscription levels so that you can start small, and it offers a free toolbar. Use Moz Pro to track competitor strategies and backlinks. You can also find domain authority, common anchor text, and other details to help build your SEO plan. The standard subscription level starts at $99 per month.
5. Answer the Public
For a free SEO tool that helps you develop content, try Answer the Public. It’s a search tool that enables you to develop ideas for content that aligns with keywords people are frequently searching for. For example, put in a simple keyword, and it will provide a list of top questions. If you can answer these with your site’s content, you’ll ultimately get greater domain authority and page rank.
6. Screaming Frog
SEO pros love Screaming Frog for its quick site audits. It can run through your page fast and provide information on duplicate content, 404 errors, bad links and broken pages, and wrong redirections. It’s an efficient way to make your site better.
Majestic is another top subscription tool that many pros consider worth the price. It’s been around longer than most other SEO tools. The main focus of Majestic is backlinks. It provides both a fresh index that updates daily and a historic index. A popular feature is the daily ranking of the top one million websites. You can get a “lite” version of Majestic for just $50 per month.
8. Google Trends
Google Trends is a free data tool for search term trends. It provides information in easy-to-read graphs. You can use Google Trends to find trending keywords, topics, and subtopics. It will also show you trends by geographic region, which is crucial if your business is local or targeted at specific areas. You can also look at trends within periods of time to get a better context for a keyword or topic.
SpyFu offers free tools and premium subscriptions. This is a great tool for eCommerce because it scrapes the internet looking for keywords your competitors have paid for through AdWords. You can then take those keywords and determine which gets the most traffic. It helps you stay ahead of sites selling similar products.
This is one of the most useful free SEO tools. It offers a whole range of analysis tools at no cost: site audits, link checking, and keyword analysis. It offers a dashboard and an export feature so you can download and use the information.
How to do SEO for eCommerce
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a critical component of any ecommerce strategy. It helps increase visibility, drives traffic, and ultimately leads to more sales. In this article, we’ll discuss the key elements of ecommerce SEO and how to optimize your online store to drive more traffic and sales.
Understanding the Basics of Ecommerce SEO
E-commerce SEO is the process of optimizing your online store to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) for relevant keywords. This helps increase visibility and drive more traffic to your store, leading to more sales. There are several key elements to consider when optimizing your e-commerce store for SEO, including:
- Keyword research: Identifying the keywords and phrases that your target audience is searching for and incorporating them into your website’s content and meta tags.
- On-page optimization: Ensuring that your website is structured and coded properly, with a clear hierarchy and clean code.
- Content creation: Creating high-quality, informative, and engaging content that is relevant to your target audience and includes your targeted keywords.
- Link building: Building high-quality backlinks to your website from other reputable sites.
Optimizing Your Ecommerce Website for SEO
To optimize your ecommerce store for SEO, there are several key elements you’ll need to focus on. Here’s a step-by-step guide to optimizing your online store for SEO:
- Conduct keyword research: Use tools such as Google Keyword Planner or SEMrush to identify the keywords and phrases that your target audience is searching for. Incorporate these keywords into your website’s content, meta tags, and product descriptions.
- Improve on-page optimization: Ensure that your website is structured and coded properly, with a clear hierarchy and clean code. This will help search engines understand the structure of your website and how to index your pages.
- Create high-quality content: Create high-quality, informative, and engaging content that is relevant to your target audience and includes your targeted keywords. This can include blog posts, product descriptions, and informational pages.
- Build high-quality backlinks: Building high-quality backlinks to your website from other reputable sites will help improve your website’s authority and search engine rankings. Reach out to other websites in your industry and ask for links back to your website, or create valuable content that others will want to link to.
- Optimize product images and videos: Optimize your product images and videos with descriptive file names and alt tags. This will help search engines understand what your images and videos are about and make them more likely to appear in image and video search results.
- Optimize product categories and tags: Organize your products into clear, easy-to-navigate categories and tags. This will make it easy for customers to find the products they’re looking for and help search engines understand the structure of your website.
- Implement schema markup: Schema markup is a type of code that helps search engines understand the content on your website. It can be used to provide information about products, reviews, and other types of content.
- Monitor your analytics: Use tools such as Google Analytics to monitor your website’s traffic, bounce rate, and conversion rate. This will help you understand which pages are performing well and which ones need to be optimized further.
Increasing Traffic to Your Ecommerce Store
Once your ecommerce store is optimized for SEO, it’s important to focus on increasing traffic to your website. There are several strategies you can use to drive more traffic to your online store, including:
- Paid advertising: Use paid advertising to drive targeted traffic to your website. Platforms like Google Ads and Facebook Ads allow you to create targeted campaigns that reach your desired audience.
- Influencer marketing: Partner with influencers in your industry to promote your products and drive traffic to your website. Influencers can provide valuable exposure and help increase trust in your brand.
- Social media: Use social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote your products, connect with customers, and drive traffic to your website.
- Email marketing: Build an email list of customers and potential customers and use email marketing to promote your products and drive traffic to your website.
- Content marketing: Use content marketing to create high-quality, informative, and engaging content that attracts and retains a clearly defined audience. This can include blog posts, videos, infographics, and more.
Improving Conversion Rates on Your Ecommerce Store
Once you’ve increased traffic to your ecommerce store, it’s important to focus on converting that traffic into sales. Here are a few strategies you can use to improve conversion rates on your online store:
- Improve website design: Make sure your website is easy to navigate, visually appealing, and optimized for conversions. This includes making sure that the checkout process is simple and streamlined.
- Offer free shipping: Offering free shipping can be a powerful incentive for customers to make a purchase.
- Provide product reviews: Allowing customers to leave reviews on your website can help increase trust and credibility, leading to more sales.
- Use retargeting: Use retargeting to reach out to customers who have abandoned their shopping carts and encourage them to complete their purchase.
- Offer discounts: Offering discounts and promotions can be a powerful incentive for customers to make a purchase.
In conclusion, SEO is an essential component of any ecommerce strategy. By focusing on keyword research, on-page optimization, content creation, and link building, you can optimize your online store to rank higher in search engine results and drive more traffic and sales. Additionally, by increasing traffic and improving conversion rates, you can further boost the performance of your ecommerce store.
Commonly asked questions
What is SEO for e-commerce?
SEO for e-commerce refers to the process of optimizing an e-commerce website in order to improve its visibility and ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs). This can be achieved through a combination of on-page and off-page optimization techniques, such as keyword research, meta tags, link building, and creating high-quality content. The goal of SEO for e-commerce is to increase the number of relevant, organic traffic to the site, which can ultimately lead to more sales and revenue.
Is SEO worth it for ecommerce?
SEO can be worth it for e-commerce businesses because it can help to increase visibility and drive more relevant, organic traffic to the website. This can lead to more sales and revenue for the business. Additionally, SEO can help to establish the brand as a reputable and trustworthy source within the industry. However, it’s important to note that SEO is a long-term strategy and results may not be immediately visible. Also, SEO may not be the best strategy for all e-commerce businesses, depending on the industry and competition. It may be beneficial to consult with an SEO expert to determine if it is a worthwhile investment for your specific business.
How can I do SEO for ecommerce site?
There are many different ways to do SEO for an e-commerce website, but some common strategies include:
- Keyword research: Identify the keywords and phrases that your target audience is searching for, and make sure that they are included in the content, meta tags, and URLs of your website.
- Optimize product pages: Make sure that each product page has a unique, keyword-rich title tag, meta description, and product description. Use product images and videos to further enhance the pages.
- Improve website structure: Ensure that the website has a clear, logical structure that makes it easy for search engines to understand and for users to navigate.
- Build backlinks: Backlinks from other websites to your e-commerce site can help to improve your search engine rankings. Try to get links from reputable, high-authority websites within your industry.
- Use structured data: Use structured data like schema.org markup to help search engines understand the products and categories on your site.
- Optimize for local SEO: If your e-commerce business serves a specific geographic area, optimize your site for local SEO to rank better for searches made by people in that area.
- Monitor and track your progress: Use tools like Google Analytics and Search Console to track your website’s traffic and search engine rankings. Use this data to make informed decisions about your SEO strategy.
How does SEO help ecommerce business?
SEO, or search engine optimization, helps ecommerce businesses by improving their visibility and ranking in search engine results. This can lead to more traffic and sales for the business. Here are a few ways SEO can help ecommerce businesses:
- Increased website traffic: By optimizing your website for search engines, you can improve its visibility and ranking in search engine results. This can lead to more traffic and potential customers visiting your website.
- Better user experience: By optimizing your website for search engines, you can also improve the user experience. This can lead to a higher conversion rate and more sales.
- Cost-effective marketing: SEO is a cost-effective way to market your ecommerce business, as it requires minimal investment to get started.
- Increased brand awareness: As your website ranks higher in search engine results, more people will become aware of your brand and products.
- Competitive advantage: SEO can give your ecommerce business a competitive advantage by making it easier for potential customers to find your products and services.
- Long-term results: SEO provides long-term results, as the benefits of improved visibility and ranking in search engine results continue over time.
The Best SEO Requires the Right Tools
SEO has become an industry unto itself. If you have an eCommerce site, it’s essential to keep up. Getting page rank means making sales. To make the most of your site, get eyes on your pages, and rank high, you need the right SEO tools.